I am unable to get a wisdom tooth disimpaction done right away. how best can i care for my gum that i keep biting in the mean time to keep infection away?

Dr. Scott Terry
Dentistry

In brief: If I were your doc..

If you have an infection in your gum due to a wisdom tooth.
an antibiotic may be needed. It is important to remember that this will only temporarily control the swelling. The real treatment may be to treat the tooth or gum. You shouldn't think that the antibiotic is the treatment.

In brief: If I were your doc..

Dr. Scott Terry
Dr. Scott Terry
Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: Pericoronitis?

One poss. is that if your impacted tooth is a wisdom tooth and the skin around it is being injured by biting on an opposing erupted second wisdom tooth , may be the routine removal of the opposing tooth.
This is obviously a very specific scenario but on occasion the more easily accomplished extraction can reduce symptoms around an impaction until you can arrange for the impacted tooth removal.

In brief: Pericoronitis?

Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Impacted tooth

Unfortunately there is little you can do in most cases if the tooth requires removal.
You can alternately rinse with warm salt water rinses and a mixture of equal parts water and 3% hydrogen peroxide. That may or may not help. Also try to eat on the opposite side of your mouth.

In brief: Impacted tooth

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler

In brief: Laser the gum away

the dentist can use a laser or a radio frequency unit to remove the excess tissue you are biting into.
easy in office with local anesthetic (right at the sight like a filling)

In brief: Laser the gum away

Dr. Keith Hollander
Dr. Keith Hollander
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No home

No home remedy will prevent infection if the area is exposed to your oral bacteria.
Try to reduce swelling by rinsing w salt water 3x/day, dab Orabase -B onto sore spot, but most of all keep area clean. Best solution, see specialist Oral Surgeon ASAP.

In brief: No home

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Jonathan Jassey