I just had arthroscopic knee surgery and was told that I had a lot of red inside the knee. He said this was inflammation. How did it get there?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Varies

Inflammation can occur in response to an injury, an autoimmune condition, an arthritic condition, an infectious process, among multiple potential causes.
In the knee it is usually associated inflammation of the synovium, known as synovitis. I would discuss the specifics of your case with your surgeon, who likely has a theory as to the cause of the inflammation.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc

In brief: Inflammation

Is part of normal healing after any kind of wound ( in your case surgical).

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine