The emergency doctor said my baby has asthma, and now she is having more trouble breathing. How do I know when I should take her back to the hospital?

In brief: Asthma should not...

Be treated in an emergency room unless absolutely necessary.
A good rule of thumb is always to see your own doctor the day after an emergency room visit; the important treatment is what you do to keep attacks from coming back. Trouble breathing is a sign of out-of-control asthma (or something that looks like asthma but isn't), and may need an ED visit now, but an ED visit does not cure asthma.

In brief: Asthma should not...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Gregg Alexander
You can control asthma, but only with good, consistent regular care from a primary doc, not an ED, urgent care, or minute clinic. As Dr. Belilovsky said, and ED visit doesn't cure asthma; in fact, nothing does, but you can CONTROL it with regular care (as mentioned).

In brief: Now

If there is any difficulty breathing.
If you feel your baby is in distress call 911.

In brief: Now

If there is any difficulty breathing.
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Julia Lee

In brief: Difficulty breathing

If a baby is breathing rapidly, appears to be using a lot of effort to breathe and is feeding poorly, it may be time to have the baby seen again.

In brief: Difficulty breathing

Dr. Julia Lee
Dr. Julia Lee
Dr. Manav Singla
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: If you are nervous..

You should have been given rescue medications from the er. Probably albuterol.
Use it as they directed - but if you do not think it is working well, or does not last more than a couple hours, then it is time to head back or see your doctor asap.

In brief: If you are nervous..

Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Adam Smith