How is sprained ankle diagnosed?

Diagnosis of sprained ankle. In case your situation is mild, which means you can move with your injured foot, your doctor will do a physical examination for assessment. He or she will check for points of tenderness at your foot; moving your foot in various ways to check the range of motion.

If your situation is severe, the following imaging tests may be needed to check if your bone is broken or tissues are damaged:
• X-ray
X-ray is often a good way to check your bones, but is less effective in visualizing soft tissues. Tiny cracks may not show up in an early x-ray check as well.
Bone scan
A small amount of radioactive substance will be injected to an intravenous line. Damaged areas will show up as bright spots that it is good to detect stress fractures.
• Computerized tomography (CT) scans
CT scans take x-rays from different angles for a detailed look at the bones of the joint and internal structures.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
MRI uses radio waves and magnetic field to produce detailed outlook of the internal structure and soft tissue damages.
.