What is sprained ankle?

Sprained ankle. A sprained ankle is a very common injury around the world. You may have sprained your ankle at some points in your life. It is not a privilege of athletes. It can happen to people of any age and occupations. If you have twisted your ankle, and it turns swollen and painful, you have most likely sprained it, which means you may have stretched and torn the ligaments in your ankle.

A sprained ankle can be classified into three grades:

Grade 1 – stretched or partial tear of a ligament with no loss of ability when weight is put on your injured foot
Grade 2 – incomplete tear of a ligament with moderate loss of ability when weight is put on your injured foot
Grade 3 – complete tear of a ligament with total loss of ability when weight is put on your injured foot
.