What are the treatments for chicken pox?

Treatment for chicken pox. Routine treatment for chicken pox aims to relieve the symptoms, as we know that it is generally a benign illness. The itchiness and irritation can be reduced by keeping the skin cool with light clothing and tepid baths or sponging. Calamine lotion applied to the spots, or antihistamine tablets may also help - ask your pharmacist for advice. Paracetamol or ibuprofen can be taken if the lesions are painful and will lower fever. Aspirin is generally not suitable for children under 12. It is especially unsuitable for children with chicken pox because the combination of chicken pox and aspirin can damage the liver. Although it can be difficult to resist, avoiding scratching spots as it can lead to scarring. Specific antiviral treatment is available but only used in special circumstances, for example, for children being treated for leukaemia or other cancers.

The fever should settle within three to four days and the rash should then be showing signs of healing. New crops of vesicles are noticeably smaller and don’t develop fully. If the fever persists, or the rash continues to spread significantly, or if there is a general reddening of the skin or some spots become angry and weeping, suggesting secondary infection, then see your doctor.
.