What are the symptoms of bowel cancer?

Symptoms of bowel cancer. Bowel cancer is often painless in the early stages, but there are symptoms, including:

• blood in your faeces, which may be mixed into your faeces or appear as flecks on the surface, or you may see it in the toilet or on toilet paper - get into the habit of looking into the toilet before flushing
• persistent changes in your bowel habit for several weeks - especially going to the toilet more often or having diarrhoea
• weight loss without any obvious reason and/or loss of appetite
• tiredness or breathlessness for no apparent reason - this may be caused by the small amount of blood loss from your bowel, resulting in anaemia (when there are too few red blood cells or not enough haemoglobin in your blood)
• pain, or a lump or swelling in your abdomen (tummy)

These symptoms aren't always due to bowel cancer. However the symptoms shouldn't be ignored so if you have them, see your doctor. If bowel cancer is caught early there is a better chance of curing it.
.