What causes irritable bowel syndrome?

Causes of IBS. The exact cause of IBS is unknown. It's likely a combination of:

• more frequent or stronger squeezing (contractions) of the muscles lining your bowel
• increased sensitivity to the gas inside your bowel
• your genetic make-up

Psychological factors, such as stress, may trigger your symptoms. Stress may result from work anxieties, exams, relationship difficulties, or life events such as divorce or bereavement.

Your symptoms may get worse after eating. Specific foods, such as tea, coffee and fatty foods, can also trigger symptoms.

Antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen (eg Nurofen) and diclofenac (eg Voltarol), can make symptoms worse.
.