How can I prevent a stroke?

Prevention of stroke. You can take steps to lower your risk of stroke by making changes to your lifestyle. Some examples are listed below.
• Stop smoking. This can greatly reduce your risk of stroke, no matter how old you are or how long you have been smoking.
• Don’t exceed the recommended alcohol limits. By cutting down the amount of alcohol you drink, you can reduce your blood pressure, which in turn lowers your risk of stroke.
• Improve your diet. Reducing how much cholesterol and salt you eat can lower your risk of stroke.
• Increase the amount of physical activity that you do – aim to do some every day. The recommended healthy level of physical activity is 150 minutes (two and a half hours) of moderate exercise over a week in about of 30 minutes or more.

This information was published by Bupa's health information team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been peer reviewed by Bupa doctors. The content is intended for general information only and does not replace the need for personal advice from a qualified health professional.
.