What are the types of ovarian cysts?

Types of ovarian cyst. There are several different types of ovarian cyst. The most common are called functional cysts. Functional cysts develop as a woman goes through her menstrual cycle. The eggs in a woman’s ovary develop inside small swellings called follicles. Every month, one of these follicles grows larger, until it eventually bursts, releasing the egg. Functional cysts develop from these follicles. They include:
• follicular cysts - these develop when the follicle fails to burst
corpus luteum - this is formed when the egg has been released by the follicle, but the follicle fails to break down - instead it becomes filled with fluid or blood
These types of cyst tend to go away by themselves.

Other types of ovarian cyst don´t form during the menstrual cycle, but are due to unusual growth of cells in the ovary. These include:
• cystadenomas - these are formed from cells that cover the outer surface of the ovary - they can be filled with a watery liquid (serous cystadenoma) or a thicker, sticky fluid (mucinous cystadenoma)
• dermoid cysts - these develop from the cells that make eggs in the ovary - they may contain several types of tissue, including hair, teeth and other material
• endometriomas - these are often associated with endometriosis and form when endometrial tissue (the cells lining the womb) starts to grow in the ovaries

These types of cyst may also be referred to as ovarian tumours. A tumour just means an uncontrolled growth of cells. Most ovarian tumours are benign (they aren’t cancerous, and don’t invade other tissues or spread to other parts of the body).

However, a tumour may occasionally turn out to be malignant (cancerous). This means it may spread to other parts of the body and invade surrounding tissue. This is why it is important that all cysts are checked by your doctor.
.