What are ovarian cysts?

Ovarian cysts. Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs (pockets) that can occur inside or on the surface of the ovaries (the two small organs that produce eggs (ova) in women). Ovarian cysts are quite common in women of childbearing age.

Women have two ovaries - one on either side of their womb (uterus). Their function is to develop eggs and produce female sex hormones. You can develop one or more cysts on either one of your ovaries or on both ovaries at the same time. If a number of cysts (usually at least 10) develop around the outside of an ovary, it is called polycystic ovary syndrome.