What are Benzodiazepines?

Benzodiazepines. • Nitrazepam useful and effective but can be habit forming in long term. It continues to work for several hours (medium-acting) which means it has the potential to cause hangover drowsiness the following morning.
• Temazepam and lormetazepam are shorter acting, and less likely to cause daytime drowsiness.

All benzodiazepines can affect hand-eye co-ordination, which can impair driving ability and operating machinery the next day. Because of their potential for causing dependence, doctors are now discouraged from prescribing benzodiazepines for insomnia except for very short term use in specific situations, such as in people who are very distressed.
.