I don't receive oral sex but I give it, can I still get herpes?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Herpes

25% of americans have the std herpes known as herpes type a two.
75% have the other heroes type one. Herpes is transmitted skin to skin or skin to mouth. Or saliva to skin. So, yes, if you are not previously infected you can get herpes from an infected partner.

In brief: Herpes

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian

In brief: Agree W Dr. Kwok.

This still puts you at risk to develop herpes simplex infection.

In brief: Agree W Dr. Kwok.

In order to not catch the herpes virus, one must be able to talk about herpes with his potential sexual partner. He must ask her if she has had herpes sores.
If so, she can ask her doctor for prophylactic (preventive) anti-viral medication. The couple can also not have sex during the appearance of a sore, and for a week or so after the sore heals, to be extra safe. Using condoms helps prevention.

Dr. Robert Killian
I would just add that we now know that suppressing herpes with medication lowers the risk of infection by 50%. We also now know that viral shedding occurs whether one has a sore or not and that a sore is in no way predictive of more risk. One can catch herpes in this scenario despite all best efforts.