My eye is red after using steroids and antibiotics. I also had Shingles in June. My shingles is gone now. I have been to the doctor and he told me to use artificial tears.I used Refresh Plus drops for a week. My eye is still red and has pain?

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

In brief: Persistence

If the shingles affected your eye, you may still have persisting ocular pain and or inflammation.
This presents as a red sore eye that may be sensitive to light and affect vision. Quite often, topical prednisolone eye drops or similar steroid preparations will have to used for months. You should not have an infection at this point, so antibiotics are not needed. Artificial tears are not treatment

In brief: Persistence

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Gary Reiter
Ophthalmology

In brief: See an eyeMD

There is a big difference between shingles that gives you the painful rash, even if it is on your eyelids, and shingles that involve the cornea and other parts of the eye such as the retina or trabecular meshwork.
The later is called herpes zoster ophthalmicus. This is a chronic disease requiring chronic steroid eyedrops. See your ophthalmologist to find out if you have this and need more treatmen

In brief: See an eyeMD

Dr. Gary Reiter
Dr. Gary Reiter