Is activated charcoal an effective treatment for flatulence?

Depends. My best recommendation is first to avoid foods like legumes, chickpeas, lentils etc. activated charcoal may afford relief. A product here in the USA is a non prescription agent called "Beano" Very safe to take. You may also consult with your family physician to recommend a dietician for you to consult with.
Yes, however. You might want to consider simethicone tablets ( Gas-X or Phazyme-125 ) and or/Beano.
Charcoal. Charcoal primarily used to prevent absorption of substances from overdose.
I have seen it help stomach acid. I am unaware of any use at relieving flatulence.