Is there an alternate to surgery for gall stones?

Yes. Asymptomatic gallstones need no treatment. Gallstones causing pain can be treated with medication but patients usually prefer an operation to prevent another episode of the intense pain. Medications to dissolve the gallstones are very ineffective with a lot of side-effects. A healthy lifestyle is always advisable though many people with a very healthy lifestyle still develop gallstones !
Low Fat Diet. Gall Stones are irritated with fatty foods. If you limit your consumption you can prevent the pain and possible gall stone attack.
There was a medication by mouth called Actigall (ursodiol) in the United States. It wasn't used too often but is available to try to reduce gall stones in place of surgery.