I sleep about 12 hrs a day but when I get ready for bed I just lay there for hours I was told I probably anemic and have insomnia how would I know?

Pathology

In brief: Major sleep problem

This does not sound like anemia though it is suspicious for medical disease.
Sleeping 12 hours at a time, and being unable to fall asleep are both abnormal. Your physician will want to screen you and probably give you a specialist referral. You owe it to yourself and those around you to get this under control.

In brief: Major sleep problem

In brief: Sleep diary

Keep a sleep diary and note down time on bed, time of sleep, wake up time, same for day time sleeping.
You may want to see a sleep specialist. Insomnia means inadequate sleep. Iron deficiency can give restless leg syndrome and insomnia.

In brief: Sleep diary

Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Eric Weisman