My 17month old child was exposed to lamp oil on his skin. He has broken out in a rash. I gave him a bath. What else should I do? What if he ate some?

Dr. Willa Terry

In brief: Toxic substance

Scented and unscented lamp oil is kerosene without the bad smell.
But contrary to popular belief, the additives (benzene, naphtha) that masks the smell makes lamp oil potentially dangerous, and if absorbed by the skin and mucous membranes it could be harmful. Please call poison control for complete information: 1 -800-222-1222.

In brief: Toxic substance

Dr. Willa Terry
Dr. Willa Terry

In brief: Call Poison Control

Your initial management was correct.
The next step should be to call poison control. 1 800 222 1222. They will advise you.

In brief: Call Poison Control

Your initial management was correct.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Jonathan Jassey