10 doctors weighed in:

My 17month old child was exposed to lamp oil on his skin. He has broken out in a rash. I gave him a bath. What else should I do? What if he ate some?

10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Willa Terry
Pediatrics
8 doctors agree

In brief: Toxic substance

Scented and unscented lamp oil is kerosene without the bad smell.
But contrary to popular belief, the additives (benzene, naphtha) that masks the smell makes lamp oil potentially dangerous, and if absorbed by the skin and mucous membranes it could be harmful. Please call poison control for complete information: 1 -800-222-1222.

In brief: Toxic substance

Scented and unscented lamp oil is kerosene without the bad smell.
But contrary to popular belief, the additives (benzene, naphtha) that masks the smell makes lamp oil potentially dangerous, and if absorbed by the skin and mucous membranes it could be harmful. Please call poison control for complete information: 1 -800-222-1222.
Dr. Willa Terry
Dr. Willa Terry
Thank

In brief: Call Poison Control

Your initial management was correct.
The next step should be to call poison control. 1 800 222 1222. They will advise you.

In brief: Call Poison Control

Your initial management was correct.
The next step should be to call poison control. 1 800 222 1222. They will advise you.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Board Certified, Pediatrics
14 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors