Can you stop taking metformin once your blood sugar is back to normal. i am not a diabetic but my sugar is a bit high and i have put on a bit of weig?

Dr. Trajko Bojadzievski
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Depends

It depends on the initial purpose of why metformin was initiated.
I assume it may be because of a sugar processing problem in your body and other related health problems that go along with it. Your doctor can answer this question best; if your doctor recommends continuing it- than ask what benefits are expected from such a recommendation. I am sure you will get a satisfactory answer

In brief: Depends

Dr. Trajko Bojadzievski
Dr. Trajko Bojadzievski
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Prediabetes.

If you're not formally diabetic, sounds like you may be prediabetic.
Medications are not necessary for prediabetes, only lifestyle measures such as high fiber diet with complex carbohydrates, smaller more frequent meals, leaner proteins, regular aerobic exercise and weight training and weight reduction if necessary. Supplementing cinnamon and chromium can help as well.

In brief: Prediabetes.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Vicken Poochikian