My girlfriend has HSV-1 genital herpes from a previous relationship. What kind of risks to my health am I taking if I were to contract it?

Low risk. You are at low risk. Unlike genital HSV2, genital HSV1 tends to recur infrequently and asymptomatic viral shedding (i.e. in the absence of symptoms) is uncommon. Therefore, sexual transmission of genital HSV1 is uncommon. Also, there is a 50:50 chance you already have HSV1orally from childhood. If so, you are immune to a new infection anywhere on your body.