I feel squeezing, substernal pressure on my chest while climbing stairs to the elevated train he rides to work. The pressure resolves after about minutes of rest.

In brief: It's time to see Dr.

With only those words, "squeezing, substernal pressure on my chest while climbing stairs," one must see the doctor right away.
The wisest thing to do is call 911. The paramedics have oxygen, medications, and can do an EKG test. The E.R. doctor can evaluate for an impending heart attack. Even if it is not an impending heart attack, the E.R. usually can give an initial diagnosis and begin treatment.

In brief: It's time to see Dr.

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine