How much force is usually required to fracture a cervical vertabrae? Can it be broken from normal activity or usually is it high velocity accidents?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Unlikely

It would be extremely unlikely to fracture a cervical vertebrae with normal activities, even in a patient with osteoporosis.
I do have patients who come to my office and are told they have a "fractured vertebrae" on their neck X-ray without any history of trauma, but the vast majority of the time the vertebrae is wedge shaped as a developmental abnormality but not fractured.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Farheen Parvez

In brief: Injury

usually not easily fractured but accidents can do that as well.

In brief: Injury

Dr. Farheen Parvez
Dr. Farheen Parvez
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine