I am experiencing cramping pelvic pain in my lower back and abnormal vaginal bleeding (quality: contains blood clots) that is heavier than normal on day 3 of my period. I've had to change my tampon within 45 minutes, which is not normal for me.

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Know your options

The cause of the heavy periods is not something we can always answer. There are lots of treatment options you can discuss with your doctor. Lysteda is a nonhormone medication designed for heavy periods.
Some benefit from birth control pills, patch or nuvaring. Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud can stop your period in some cases. Consider an endometrial ablation if you are done having children.

In brief: Know your options

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham