I need a second opinion! My doctor has prescribed penicillin for my 8 month old who has red swollen tonsils! Is this the best anb for this?

Dr.

In brief: Tonsils

Penicillin is the preferred antibiotics for streptococcus throat infections and tonsillitis.
Throat swab can confirm that child has bacterial infection and needs antibiotics as viral infections are quiet common in younger children .

In brief: Tonsils

Dr.
Dr. Vasanth Kainkaryam
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Depends on diagnosis

Happy to render a formal opinion via an appointment, but in general penicillin can be used to treat throat infections, particularly strep.
That being said, strep throat/tonsil infection is less common in children under 3 or infants unless they are exposed (say with older kids). There are also a lot of throat infections that are viral.

In brief: Depends on diagnosis

Dr. Vasanth Kainkaryam
Dr. Vasanth Kainkaryam

In brief: Penicillin

Penicillin is routinely prescribed for strep throat.
However strep throat is rare in children under one year of age. Most red swollen tonsils at this age are due to viruses. Did the doctor do a throat swab for rapid strep or culture? If testing was done and positive for strep, penicillin is a reasonable choice.

In brief: Penicillin

Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr.

In brief: Penicillin

Should be gin as long as he is not allergic to it.

In brief: Penicillin

Dr.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey