Can I have Atrial Flutter (AF) while wearing a pacemaker for complete heart block? Do I need ablation or it managable by using medication?

Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Complex question

Your best off using HealthTap Prime to ask this question, since it's complex & answer is nuanced.
The only problem, as I see it, is that with ongoing AF, you can develop clots (thombus) that can dislodge & cause a stroke. Your heart RATE should be controlled by the pacemaker, so the only adverse effect of AF would be a stroke. This can be mitigated by anticoagulants (blood thinners). Use HT Prime.

In brief: Complex question

Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology