Left side of my head hurts a lot and I get sharp pains on top of my head as well what is wrong with me this has been happening for past 8months ?

David Miller
In brief: Migraine?
Unilateral headaches are often migraines, although they can run with tension headaches (which can cause tenderness on your scalp).
You need to keep a diary of the triggers of your headaches, timing, severity and what you do to make the headache go away. This will be invaluable information to help you and your doc figure this out together.

In brief: Migraine?
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Pain Management
In brief: Occipital Neuralgia
Most headaches come out of the neck.
When the occipital nerve becomes involved and irritated, the pain will come up the back of the head, across the top of the head and sometimes go behind the eye. If this is the distribution of pain, you can be suffering from occipital neuralgia headaches. Injections of the occipital nerve and/or neck can greatly help. Check with your doc to rule out other causes.

In brief: Occipital Neuralgia
Most headaches come out of the neck.
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. Kenneth Choquette