Would my spinal fusion cause my lung to collapse?

Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Neurosurgery
In brief: No
I don't believe so but a collapse lung is typical an emergency and needs to be addressed in an emergency room.

In brief: No
Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Neurosurgery
In brief: Possibly
Lung collapse after surgery can be a direct or indirect result of the operation.
With thoracic surgery the pleural space is sometimes entered intentionally and the lung collapses and will re-expand later. Additionally, collapse due to atelectasis can occur - coughing and deep breathing can correct this. This is the most common cause.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Wherwas your fusion?
Dropping a lung is a routine part of anterior thoracic approach to the thoracic spine, did you fusion include the thoracic spine any thoracic pedicle screws?

In brief: Wherwas your fusion?
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston