I have a small scratch on my leg and the blood is thicker and dark red. Why is this?

Dr. Stuart Hickerson

In brief: Clotting

That sounds like the blood is doing what its supposed to do. Clot.

In brief: Clotting

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Alan Steinbach

In brief: Clotting

in a healthy person any cut that causes capillary or small blood vessel damage quickly activates the formation of a platelet clot.
The clotted blood appears darker red. In larger wounds, continued flow volume may temporarily prevent the platelet clot formation.

In brief: Clotting

Dr. Alan Steinbach
Dr. Alan Steinbach
Dr.

In brief: May be clotting off

Sometimes because it has clotted off can look darker as part of the initial healing - if this is the case will then form a scar and go lighter with time.
Hard to be sure without seeing it so might be worth getting a nurse or doctor to look at it if concerns

In brief: May be clotting off

Dr.
Dr. Arnon Rubin