I have been using the nicotine patch to quit smoking, sometimes when I put it on my arms, my arms start to ache. Is this normal?

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology

In brief: NICOTINE PATCHES

Burning, redness, and itching can occur when using nicotine patches.
These are not uncommon side effects. If its not too bothersome, and if it's helping you to stop smoking, i would recommend you continue.

In brief: NICOTINE PATCHES

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Susan Woods

In brief: Put somewhere else

Nicotine patches cause the chemical nicotine to be absorbed through your skin into your blood.
This can vary person to person. Pain in a muscle or join can happen, and should go away taking off the patch. Try using it on your abdomen instead. If that doesn't help, use short-acting nicotine gum or lozenge. If not going away taking off patch, see a doc.

In brief: Put somewhere else

Dr. Susan Woods
Dr. Susan Woods