I have asthma, and lately I have trouble breathing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and daily activities are getting harder to perform. I do not have an inhaler. What is the best way to combat asthma symptoms?

Actually . you need to be assessed to determine the severity of your asthma to to develop a treatment plan.
A real asthma plan. Proper asthma management in this era requires a good assessment of your present condition & a plan to add/delete medications that may become necessary during the predictable flares. Those with mild symptoms may be able to get by with a simple daily maintenance plan. All should have a rescue inhaler for flare ups. Some may need periodic oral meds. Go in now & set this up.
Please see your PCP. or your pulmonary (lung) doctor if you have one. You need a thorough evaluation and subsequent recommendations.