I threw away the Ativan that the doctor gave me because it doesn't mix well with my other meds plus i don't want to get addicted,i drink tea every night for anxiety and i'm wondering which of these is the best- valerian root,kava,or chamomile?

Dr. Austina Cho

In brief: See below.

It's great you decided to try less addictive ways to reduce your anxiety.
Chamomile is probably the safest tea to help you relax. You may want to drink less if you take aspirin or another blood thinner with it. Valerian is helpful for sleep and anxiety, but it may cause insomnia, upset stomach and irregular heart beat in some people. Kava has been linked with a few reports of liver disease.

In brief: See below.

Dr. Austina Cho
Dr. Austina Cho

In brief: Sleep herbs

Valerian (Valeriana officinalis), California poppy , Eschscholzia californica), Wild lettuce (Lactuca virosa), Lemon Balm ((Melissa officinalis)), passion flower (Passiflora incarnata), Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis), Hops (Humulus lupulus), Lavender (Lavandula officinalis), St.
John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) & are herbs which can aid with sleep. Kava kava (Piper methysticum) can be effective

In brief: Sleep herbs

Dr. Marsha Davis