I'm in my mid 30s and take vitamins such as calcium magnesium zinc and fish oil on a daily basis.  are there any potential risks?  is it safe?

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Be careful with zinc
Zinc can be helpful in maintaining your healthy immune function, but too much zinc can actually decrease your immune function.
Excess zinc can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It can also interfere with the absorption of other essential minerals, particularly magnesium and copper. A copper deficiency can inhibit the transport of iron in the body and result in anemia. The upper limit is 40mg/d.

In brief: Be careful with zinc
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Zinc side effects
Zinc is likely safe for most adults when applied to the skin, or when taken by mouth in amounts not larger than 40 mg per day.
Routine zinc supplementation is not recommended without the advice of a healthcare professional. In some people, zinc might cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, metallic taste, kidney and stomach damage, and other side effects. Using zinc on broken skin may cause burning, sti.

In brief: Zinc side effects
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Taking Zinc can cause copper deficiency. Do it yourself is a popular game which generates billions of $ for some very dishonest people.Don't be a sucker.
Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Supplements
I am not sure why you have decided to take these supplements.
If you are a healthy person in your mid 30s, there is no reason for you to take them. It would be better to eat a balanced diet, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fatty fish (such as salmon). If you are healthy, you probably can take calcium 1000-1200mg, magnesium 400-500mg, zinc 10-40mg and fish oil 1000-4000mg daily.

In brief: Supplements
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. William Jenkins
Anesthesiology
In brief: I would
not take any more than daily recommended requirements.
Fish oil as a dietary supplement is not regulated by the FDA and you don't really know what's in the capsules, can be toxic. Vascepa and Lovaza are prescription, regulated by the FDA and with discount card less expensive

In brief: I would
Dr. William Jenkins
Dr. William Jenkins
Dr. Frank Kuitems
In brief: Harmfull fish oil
Study show fish or oil supplements or harmful they can cause heavy metal poisoning arsenic lead mercury and have no benefit.
Study show that calcium supplements can increase the risk of heart disease the best benefit is to get calcium your dietary sources like low-fat cheese and milk

In brief: Harmfull fish oil
Dr. Frank Kuitems
Dr. Frank Kuitems
Dr. William Jenkins
The metal poisoning is from unregulated dietary supplements. Prescription Lovaza and Vascepa are regulated by the FDA and do not contain contaminants
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology