Could someone with a food allergy possibly breathe something they are allergic to and have a reaction with hives? My son is allergic to something so we have been avoiding a lot of the most common allergens but is still breaking out in hives.

Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Allergist

Finding the cause of recurrent hives is very elusive and in these cases an allergist is best qualified to do the investigation.
The offending agent could be internal or external including temperature change, exercise, etc. While waiting for the allergist's appointment, the pediatrician may prescribe an antihistamine for symptom relief.

In brief: Allergist

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino

Kids with any allergies can be allergic to house dust, tree pollen, mold, grasses, etc.
There are blood and skin tests available to help define which triggers could be involved. I find the blood tests easy to get & use. Neither skin or blood tests are 100% predictive of allergic events.

Dr. Shontae Buffington