What is the long term side effects of gall bladder removal?

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Surgery

In brief: Almost nothing

There is no significant effects to having the gall bladder removed.
You need no special diet once the gall bladder is gone. There is no truth to the stories about chronic diarrhea or food intolerance. There may be short term bowel urgency in some people.There is a remote possibility of bile stone formation in the native bile duct many years later, but it is quite rare. I hope this helps. Good luck.

In brief: Almost nothing

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Kuhnke

In brief: Usually good

But some potential complications early : leakage, bleeding, infection, common duct injury, jaundice, bowel obstruction rarely sepsis and death long term some dietary changes may be more comfortable as you test taste items.

In brief: Usually good

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright