I am experiencing cough (quality: blood in phlegm, with phelgm or mucus) and arm pain. The following also describes me: Chest congestion. Green and yellow phlegm with blood.. Was prescribed zpak. But afraid to take. Is there a substitute?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Take as prescribed

This sounds like a potentially serious infection, maybe even pneumonia.
"Afraid to take" azithromycin (Zpak) is not rational; it is a very safe antibiotic with few side effects. Not treating your infection is MUCH riskier than any potential problem from the antibiotic. Take it as prescribed; if you remain concerned, discuss with the doctor who prescribed it.

In brief: Take as prescribed

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology