I am experiencing abnormal vaginal discharge (brown spotting) and cramping pelvic pain. I have pcos and this is my first month on birth control. ?

Dr. Kevin Olson

In brief: Discharge after BC

Some abnormal or intermittent spotting or bleeding can be normal when starting birth control.
Still, it is important to see a doctor to make sure this isn't something more serious. If you think you may have an infection, if you had an STD in the past, think you could be pregnant (sometimes birth control can take a few weeks to start working), see an OBGYN or family doctor.

In brief: Discharge after BC

Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Jane Van Dis