Is it normal to be prescribed azithromycin for a bacterial infection that is not an std?

Yes, very often. Azithromycin is one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics, especially for skin or respiratory infections like bronchitis or sinusitis. It is also used for chlamydia and gonorrhea, but most prescriptions are for other infections. Single dose treatment is the rule for STDs, but multiple dose prescriptions are usually for non STD problems. (If you're checking up on someone, better to just ask!)