I had chickenpox as a kid, but was still given the varicella vaccine. can something bad happen as a result?

In brief: No

You will be fine and will be immune to varicella.

In brief: No

Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No

This was probably something of an oversight - but the chickenpox vaccine will actually 'make you stronger' - by boosting up your immune system. So I wouldn't worry about this.
When you turn 50 however, I would ask for the shingles vaccine. That's essentially the same 'chicken pox' vaccine except designed to prevent shingles - which is the same exact virus.

In brief: No

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Great advice!
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: NO

If you really had chicken pox you now carry the varicella virus.
This will prevent infection by the vaccine virus and will {anamnestic response] boost your immunity against chicken pox.

In brief: NO

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan