Can infectious mononucleosis (mono test negative- but antibodies positive- I had it in the past) be the reason for increased TSH? Is T4 necessary?

Unrelated. and T4 / free T4 is necessary if you have abnormal TSH reading, however, clinical context is more important, the doctor who ordered the tests is the best to judge which way to go, good luck .
Mono not related. It is unlikely that former infection with mono has any affect on TSH. TSH is generally elevated if the T4 is low, so it is important to check T4 to determine the decree of hypothyroidism. Ther are several drugs that can influence thyroid and TSH levels, specifically lithium and amiodarone, a heart med. See http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/413428.