I take Coumadin (warfarin) and my gums are bleeding what should I do can the Coumadin (warfarin) cause this?

Dr. Victor Zeines
Dentistry

In brief: Probably not

Coumadin (warfarin) is a blood thinner but your bleedin gums are probably from an infection in your mouth.
Would be a good idea to get a dental check up.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Victor Zeines
Dr. Victor Zeines
Dr. Harry Ringer
Dentistry

In brief: Bleeding

Coumadin (warfarin) is a blood thinner, so it can exaggerate any bleeding and slow clotting.
It usually doesn't cause the bleeding though. I would have your gums checked by a dentist and ensure your hygiene is good. I would consult your md about another possible issue that may be leading to the bleeding, like a discrasia. Do not go off without approval, i assume it was prescribed to help with a cardiac issue.

In brief: Bleeding

Dr. Harry Ringer
Dr. Harry Ringer

In brief: This drug is known

This drug is used as an anti coagulant which means you can have a problem with bleeding.
There is a test to determine if your bleeding time is under control called inr you should ask your doctor for this test. Although you are taking this medication bleeding gums are not normal and there is most likely an underlying cause for this. Schedule an appointment for a exam with your dentist to evaluate.

In brief: This drug is known

Dr. Robert Bongiorno
Dr. Robert Bongiorno
Dr. Michael Dugan
Internal Medicine - Hematology

In brief: Talk with

The prescribing doc straight away.
An inr needs to be checked immediately.

In brief: Talk with

The prescribing doc straight away.
An inr needs to be checked immediately.
Dr. Michael Dugan
Dr. Michael Dugan
Dr. Umesh Patel