I'm 42 non smoker have had chest discomfort. If your having symptoms of lung cancer would the tumor be big enough to be seen on a xray? I did have a c

Possibly. But small tumors can produce symptoms, and large tumors can sometimes be difficult to see on a chest xray, so a chest X-ray is not sufficient to exclude lung cancer. CT of the chest is much more sensitive.
Chest discomfort. of any type needs to be evaluated by your doctor. Please see him/her and the doc can order whatever tests may be needed if need be. There are lots of possibilities and cancer is low on the list of them. Peace and good health.