Is abilify associated with as much weight gain as zyprexa and Seroquel. And if so is it dose related?

Dr. Andrew Kaplan

In brief: Wt gain

Each of these atypical antipsychotics are associated with cholesterol problems and weight gain.
According to studies of populations of individuals, Zyprexa is associated with the most weight gain of the three, Seroquel is in the middle and Abilify is the least. Each person is different. I've certainly seen significant (20 lbs+) weight gain from each of these agents.

In brief: Wt gain

Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Dr. Andrew Kaplan

In brief: Weight gain

Zyprexa can be related to marked weight gain.
Abilify not so much. Seroquel is sometimes selected when weight gain is a concern. I wasn't able to locate good studies about dose relationship. However, some people do gain weight on even small doses. Water gain and carbohydrate craving may be some reasons. With my patient's, decreasing dose has been helpful in this matter.

In brief: Weight gain

Dr. Eric Weisman