During CT scan I was directed by machine to hold breath 4 times. Does it mean 4 scans were done i.e. I was exposed to radiation 4 times?

Dr. Elden Rand
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: CT Scan

During many types of CT scan, the patient will be instructed to hold their breath at times.
The reason is to stop the heart/lungs/chest from moving up and down during imaging. A complete CT typically has several imaging sequences. The amount of total radiation is the sum of the images necessary for a study. It is likely that you were receiving some X-rays during each breath hold.

In brief: CT Scan

Dr. Elden Rand
Dr. Elden Rand
Dr. Steven Seres