I am experiencing a sore throat when swallowing foods, headache, chills, and feeling unwell what could it be?

Doctor can examine. New throat pain can be from a strep throat infection (antibiotics are needed), a cold or influenza (antibiotics usually not used), or from some other cause such as allergies. Usually, a person sees the doctor if the sore throat illness is bothersome (as in this case), recurrent, or doesn't go away quickly (mainly to check for strep throat). Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin can help decrease pain.