Aside from androgenetic alopecia, what is/are the most common cause(s) of thinning hair in younger, premenopausal women? How are they treated?

Dr. Edward Keuer
Dermatology

In brief: Alopecia

This is a tough question as there are still a number of possibilities causes.
The most common cause is a genetic thinning, but traction alopecia, scalp dermatitis, iron deficiency or thyroid disease, alopecia areata (diffuse type), and telogen effluvium are also seen. Some of these causes can also be almost as common. I suggest evaluation by a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis.

In brief: Alopecia

Dr. Edward Keuer
Dr. Edward Keuer
Dr. Vijay Karia

In brief: Stress and medical

Some of the more common causes include hormonal imbalance, stress, thyroid problems and vitamin deficiency.
You would need a physical and laboratory evaluation at the physician's office Also try to reduce stress with healthy lifestyle and diet

In brief: Stress and medical

Dr. Vijay Karia
Dr. Vijay Karia