What are the best exercises for upper cervical spine instability? I have Ehlers danlos and want to start doing exercises to help my neck.

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine

In brief: You need individual

instruction. For most, It would be fairly safe to recommend a few simple cervical stretches for range of motion and flexibility, but if you truly have instability in the setting of Ehlers-Danlos, then any exercises need to be specifically prescribed for you.
Bracing and corrective surgery also play a role in the treatment of joint complications.Continue to work with your doctors, esp Cardiologist

In brief: You need individual

Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Julie Abbott
2 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
This is sound advice, but it should be made clear that there are 13 subtypes of Ehlers-Danlos and only one type has significant cardiac issues. A patient with EDS should be checked to make sure they do not have that type but, fortunately, most do not have this issue. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ehlers-danlos-syndrome/basics/symptoms/con-20033656
Dr. Edward Hellman
Well said!
Dr. Arnon Rubin