How do I get rid of a cough?

Cough. One needs to first identify the cause of the cough before it can be treated. Common causes are certain post nasal drainage, post viral cough, medications such as ace inhibitors, and extraesophageal or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Other more obscure causes can also treatable - eg ear wax impaction. Rarely, a cause cannot be identified. See a medical provider if your cough persists.
Depend on cause... There are many reasons to have a cough and if even one reason is not treated, you will continue coughing. The top reasons include bronchitis, bronchospasm, gerd (gastroesophageal reflux disease). These etiologies all require different therapies so see your doctor so the proper etiology can be found/treated thus eliminating your cough. The cough duration is an important factor to determine etiology.