72 yrs old woman is on Zyloric (allopurinol)100 mg/day for excess uric acid pblm but still has pain around ankle area).Should medication be increased?

Dr.

In brief: Not the issue

Allopurinol will not help with the pain.
It is a preventive medicine and changing the dose may bring on an attack. She need anti-inflammatory for pain.

In brief: Not the issue

Dr.
Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Gout

I suggest calling her treating physician.
The pain is from an accumulation of uric acid crystals. Zyloric will help pass this out through the urinary tract at a dose 0f 100-300 mg; however, the pain will require antiinflammatory medication such as prednisone or indomethacin. You medication should be adjusted according to uric acid blood levels.

In brief: Gout

Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham