At volleyball practice I was passi g a ball and then had a sharp pain in my wrist. Could it be hyperextended and can I avoid the doctor?

Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

In brief: Depends

In volleyball one can sustain a variety of injuries ranging from fractures to sprains and strains of the wrist.
If simple measures such as rest, ice, taping and antiinflammatories do not improve your symptoms or allow you to return to the sport in a pain-free fashion then you should see a doctor as soon as possible. Do not play if pain is present and proper evaluation has not been performed.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Sports Medicine

In brief: Refer to answer

Most common problem is tendonitis.
But this should occur rarely under normal circumstances. Place ice on the area that hurts for 15 minutes and stretch the wrist in opposite direction. If pain persists beyond three weeks, then therapy could help you.

In brief: Refer to answer

Most common problem is tendonitis.
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Dr. Vikram Patel