I am experiencing big toe pain (quality: pain in joint) and toe inflammation. The following also describes me: Difficulty walking. What should I do?

Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry

In brief: Detailed history.

There are a whole lot of conditions that will cause big toe joint pain.
Inflammation of the capsule, bone cartilage and tendons as well as a metabolic problem are all to be considered. Your age certainly limits some of the possibilities. Having the toe evaluated will immediately reduce the number possibilities. Further testing may be necessary to get to the immediate cause.

In brief: Detailed history.

Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Scott Keith

In brief: Probably Gout

It may be Gout, which is an accumulation of Uric Acid crystals on your joint.
It's more common on the big toes, then ankles and sometimes the knees. It's treated with Allopurinol, which binds the uric acid to the medication and prevents the crystals from forming. Eating red meats can be the culprit. It was called the Kings disease in Middle Ages.

In brief: Probably Gout

Dr. Arlene Martinez Delio
Dr. Arlene Martinez Delio